Skunk Odor Removal
> Skunk Odor Removal
How to get rid of skunk spray odor smell.
So. You or your dog or even a part of your house has been sprayed by a skunk, and now you want to get rid of the smell.
These tactics WILL NOT work very well:
How do you eliminate the odor once you have been sprayed by a skunk? Well first of all, you or your dog should have known the warning signs ahead of time. A skunk will give many clear signals before it sprays. If threatened, it will stamp its front feet, arch its back, and shuffle away. If you don't leave right away, it will turn its posterior toward you, raise the tail, and release the smelly musk, a sulfur-alcohol compound, from special glands near the anus. This spray not only stinks, but burns and can cause temporary blindness if it is sprayed directly into the eyes. Since you didn't take heed and got sprayed, here is how to get rid of the smell:
Here is the secret recipe that WORKS. Mix the following:
If you can't go to all of the trouble of buying hydrogen peroxide at your local drug store, then a 2% vinegar solution will help a bit. But please, don't bother with the old tomato juice tactic unless you want to smell like skunk + tomato.
Source: AAAnimal Control
- 1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide
- 1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
- 1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent
- Mix these together and bathe ("shampoo" in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly.
- Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is unstable.
- Rinse with tap water afterward, and repeat if necessary.
- For spray in the eyes, flush with water as soon as possible.