Refuse and Recycling Information
Recycling / Garbage Pickup
(format: Street #|Direction|Street Name|Street Type)
(example: 200 E. WOOD ST.) "Please use punctuation"
Standard Garbage Collection
Groot Industries, Inc. performs all residential garbage, yard waste and recycling collection for the Village.
- New single family and two flat residents shall contact the Village of Palatine Utility Billing at (847) 359-9082 to set up an account for service.
- An unlimited amount of bagged garbage may be placed at the curb for weekly collection. 13-55 gallon disposable plastic garbage bags shall be used, not to exceed 50 pounds per bag.
- Garbage cans or other containers shall not be used at the curb. Only Groot provided garbage carts are permitted. See Garbage Cart Rental information below to obtain a cart.
Village Ordinance designates when garbage, yard waste and recycling can be placed at the curb.
Holiday Collection Schedule
- Garbage, yard waste and recycling shall be placed at the curb no earlier than 7:00 pm the night before collection during Daylight Savings Time and no earlier than 4:00 pm during Central Standard Time.
- Garbage and yard waste shall be placed at the curb no later 6:30 am on the collection day.
- Refer to the holiday schedule to avoid placing garbage, yard waste and recycling at the curb a day early. For those holidays not listed, weekly collections will take place as regularly scheduled.
Garbage Cart Rental
- Residents have the option to rent a 35, 65 or 95 gallon cart for the disposal of garbage. The rental fee is the same for all cart sizes. Call Groot directly at (800)244-1977 to rent a garbage cart.
- Residents are not required to rent a cart.
- The rental fee for the garbage cart is $30.00 a year. Payment will be required for the prorated amount of $2.50 per month during 2012 prior to delivery. Groot will then invoice annually as of January 2013.
- Rental fee is subject to an annual increase per the service agreement. Annual cart rates have been set as follows: 2013-2015 $30.00, 2016-2017 $33.00 and 2018-2019 $36.00.
- Garbage that does not fit in the cart must be placed at the curb in disposable plastic bags.
- Only carts provided by Groot are permitted for use. The use of garbage cans or other containers is not permitted.
- Garbage and recycling carts shall be placed four feet apart at the curb for automated collection.
- Groot will maintain ownership of all garbage carts.
Rear Door Pick-Up Service
- Residents have the option of rear door service for an additional charge. For more information, contact the Environmental Health Division at (847) 359-9090.
Move in/Move Out Refuse Collection
- Move in/out refuse collection may be requested by contacting the Environmental Health Division at (847) 359-9090. Collection takes place Monday through Thursday and requires a 24 hour notice.
Items that are too large to be placed in a garbage bag are considered bulk items. Bulk items do not include White Goods, Electronic Waste
or Unacceptable Materials.
- One bulk item may be placed at the curb weekly for collection. Bulk items include, but are not limited to, beds, box springs, mattresses, sofas, furniture, furnishings, fixtures, bicycles, swing sets not to exceed 4 feet in length, barbecue grills, lawn care equipment, snow blowers, up to two cubic yards of remodeling waste, plumbing fixtures, vanities/cabinets, counter tops and exercise equipment.
- All fuel shall be removed from bulk items prior to placing at curb.
- Panes of glass or mirrors shall be taped across to prevent a hazard.
Carpeting and Rugs
- All rugs, carpeting, and padding shall be bundled and taped in rolls not to exceed four feet in length or exceed 2 cubic yards. Each bundle shall not exceed 50 pounds.
Do It Yourself Construction Projects
- Building materials resulting from do-it yourself projects, not to exceed 2 cubic yards, shall be collected, if placed in bags or securely tied/bundled. For amounts exceeding 2 cubic yards please see Special Pick-up Collection below.
- Earth, sod, rocks, concrete, tires, refuse from remodeling or construction of homes by commercial contractors, tree limbs, stumps or logs that exceed 4” in diameter, liquid waste, electronic waste, hazardous waste, potentially infectious medical waste or other materials whose collection is not permitted by law.
- Unacceptable materials not included in the weekly collection may be removed for an additional charge by contacting Groot at (800) 244-1977 to request a special pickup. See Special Pick-up Collection below for disposal of unacceptable materials.
Special Pickup Collection
Upon the resident’s request, a Groot supervisor can perform an estimate for collection. Contact at Groot at (800) 244-1977 to request
a special pickup estimate.
- All materials must be out 24 hours in advance of the regular collection day.
- Once the Groot supervisor conducts an estimate, the resident will be contacted by Groot with the fee. If the resident agrees to the fee, a work order will be scheduled for collection on the regular collection day.
- An additional fee will be assessed for collection on a day other than the regular collection day.
- Residents must pre pay Groot in advance with a credit card. The Groot driver is unable to accept payment during collection.
Christmas Tree Collection
- Groot will collect all live Christmas trees and wreaths placed at the curb on the regular collection day.
- All large appliances are to be collected as white goods by Groot on Wednesdays at no additional charge. Residents must contact Groot at least 24 hours in advance at (800) 244-1977 to schedule collection.
- White goods include: refrigerators, microwaves, water heaters, freezers, humidifiers, air conditioners, rangers/ovens, washers, furnaces, dryers, boilers, and dishwashers.
- Unlimited weekly collection of bagged yard waste and bundled brush takes place the first week of April through the last full week of November.
- All yard waste (grass or shrubbery clippings and leaves) shall be disposed of in 30 gallon, two-ply brown paper yard waste bags. No plastic bags, boxes, or containers are permitted for yard waste disposal. Each bag shall not exceed 60 pounds in weight.
- Branches or limbs cannot exceed four inches in diameter and shall be bundled in lengths not to exceed four feet. Bundles shall be secured with biodegradable cotton twine or rope. Bundles shall not weigh more than 60 pounds.
- All single family and two flat residences are provided with a wheeled green recycling toter that is for recycling only. Please do not place garbage in your recycling cart.
- Residents may increase the size of their recycling cart to 65 or 95 gallon cart at no charge. Call Groot directly at (800) 244-1977 to obtain a larger recycling cart.
- Carts are the property of Groot and shall remain with the residence.
- Carts with unacceptable materials will be left and tagged.
- Rinse all materials to remove food residue before placing in the cart.
- Paper or cardboard soiled with food debris is not recyclable.
- For additional recycling resources visit www.swancc.org and select Green Pages.
Acceptable and Not Acceptable Materials for Recycling
Place in Recycling Container
Ads, inserts, postcards, hard cover, soft cover, miscellaneous paper, mail, envelopes, copy paper, office paper, greeting cards, paper egg cartons, milk, juice and other beverage cartons, paper tubes, wrapping paper, cereal/food boxes. Place shredded paper into paper bags. Flatten all boxes.
Materials should be free of plastic bags and wrappers. DO NOT include bath tissue, paper towels, photos, laminated paper, or paper coated with food, wax or foil. Remove plastic bags and plastic wrappers. DO NOT include cardboard that contains food residue or wax-coating,
Plastic containers numbered 1-5 and 7 including caps, rings, lids and labels. Take caps off of containers before placing in recycling bin.
Containers should be empty and free of excess liquids and food residue. DO NOT include utensils, plates, toys, plant pots, garden hoses or pools.
Includes aluminum, tin, and steel food and spray cans, aluminum foil and foil trays. Caps, lids, pull tabs and labels may remain on the containers. Place metal lids inside cans.
Containers should be empty and free of excess liquids and food residue. DO NOT include fire extinguishers, propane and helium gas tanks, utensils, hangers, small appliances, batteries or auto parts.
Includes rinsed glass bottles and jars. Can put colors together. Please remove caps and lids. Labels do not need to be removed.
DO NOT include light bulbs, mirrors, bakeware, ceramics, drinking glasses, window or auto glass.
What about plastic #6?
National recycling programs no longer include #6 plastic, known as polystyrene (Styrofoam). For companies that have drop-off programs for polystyrene and packing peanuts visit www.swancc.org
and select Green Pages.
What about plastic bags?
Plastic bags and wrappers shall not be placed in your recycling cart. Recycle them at your nearest participating grocery or retail store.
Dumpster/Roll Off Container Rental
- Cleaning and home remodeling projects can produce more waste than your weekly garbage will allow. Call the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC) at (847) 724-9205 to order a 10 cubic yard roll-off container.
- The container is available for up to 5 days, with next day delivery available.
- Contact SWANCC for roll off container pricing.
- The container dimensions are 10’ x 7’ x 4’ which holds about 2-4 tons (4-6 pickup truck loads).
- No roofing materials, hazardous waste, concrete or asphalt is accepted.
Household Chemical Wastes
- Groot cannot collect, transport, or dispose of any household chemical waste products.
- Household chemical wastes (HCW) include: Aerosol paints, pool chemicals, oil-based paints, solvents, paint thinners, mercury, antifreeze, insecticides, gasoline, and herbicides.
- Contact the Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC) at (847) 724-9205 or www.swancc.org and select Residential Chemical Disposal for disposal options.
- Cans of liquid latex paint cannot be disposed with weekly collection.
- Latex paint that has been completely dried up can be disposed of as garbage. Mix paint with an absorbent material such as kitty litter, sand, saw dust, shredded newspapers, or waste paint hardener.
- The paint must be dried out completely in a well ventilated area away from children and pets. Once the paint has been dried, put the paint at the curb with the lid off so Groot can identify that the paint is dried.
Paint can be recycled locally by dropping it off at the following location during regular business hours:
239 E. Northwest Highway, Palatine
Contact Ace Hardware for paint recycling fees.
Computer and Electronics Recycling
- Effective January 1, 2012 the following electronic equipment has been banned from disposal.
List of Banned Computer and Electronic Equipment
Digital Converter Boxes
Digital Video Disc Players
Digital Video Disc Recorders
Portable Digital Music Players
Small Scale Servers
Video Game Consoles
The Solid Waste Agency of Northern Cook County (SWANCC) provides options and resources for disposal of such electronic equipment. This includes permanent collection locations, seasonal one-day events, and the Agency’s At Home program that runs May through September. Additionally, residents are able to utilize many retail store drop-offs during evening and weekend hours.
For a complete list of recycling options, please visit www.swancc.org
or contact (847) 724-9205. Businesses, institutions, schools, etc. will need to make arrangements directly with a qualified electronics recycler.