The Palatine Police Department Truck Enforcement Unit began in 1999. Commercial trucking is a large business in Palatine and the suburban Chicago area. Palatine has almost 50 miles of U.S., State, and County highways within its borders. The Truck Enforcement Unit exists to provide safe passage through Palatine for all motor vehicle traffic as they share the roads with larger and heavier commercial vehicles. The truck enforcement unit is a proud member of the Illinois Truck Enforcement Association.
The primary duties of the Truck Enforcement Unit are:
- Enforcement of weight and size violations.
- Issuing permits for overweight and oversize vehicles using Village maintained highways.
- Education of local trucking companies in regards to local and State laws.
- Assisting the Illinois State Police with random roadside portable scale roadblocks.
- Coordination between developers, trucking companies, and the Village with respect to truck routing in and out of commercial jobsites.
- Handling complaints from residents about truck specific problems.
- Checking trucks for safety and driver’s license classification violations.
Effective January 1, 2011, all applications for overweight and oversize permits for Village of Palatine highways must be submitted using the online webform. This webform can be found on this page and the Illinois Truck Enforcement Association website.