On February 20, 2023, the Village Council approved an ordinance establishing the Downtown TIF District Facade & Interior Building Improvement Grant Program. This Program is intended to assist with qualifying interior and façade renovations of existing buildings within Palatine’s Downtown TIF District (click here for a map of the Village's Downtown TIF District). Applying for the program does not guarantee approval as all proposals are ultimately subject to review and approval by the Village Council. The Village Council also indicated that any establishment that has received approval for a Village video gaming license shall not be eligible to apply to the Program until February 21, 2024.
While some of the program details are outlined below, please click the following link to see the complete details of the program an associated application: Program Details & Application
If you have any specific questions please contact the Village's Director of Community Development, Michael Jacobs, at (847) 359-9053 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
To be eligible for consideration, a project must comply with the following:
- The building must be located within the Village’s Downtown Palatine TIF District;
- The majority of the building’s first floor must be dedicated to a non-residential use(s); and
- Original construction of the building must have been completed prior to January 1, 2000.
- No funding shall be awarded to any property which is currently in violation of any applicable ordinances of the Village or which is delinquent in any payments to the Village.
Project Eligibility: The intent of the program is to encourage façade and interior building improvements while preserving the character of downtown Palatine. Applicants are limited to either the owner of an existing building or business within the Downtown TIF District. Any application submitted solely by a tenant must include consent from the building’s owner. Expenses relating to the following types of improvements and services would be eligible:
- Façade renovations/improvements;
- Tuck-pointing, masonry repair, and cornice repair/replacement;
- New exterior awnings, windows, doors, attached lighting and signage (if signage is an integral part of the building façade); and
- Rebuilding front walls and foundations.
- ADA accessibility improvements;
- Significant energy conservation enhancements consistent with LEED standards;
- Electrical service upgrades;
- Water service upgrades;
- Required fire alarm and/or fire suppression system improvements; and
- Other extraordinary expenses related to improvements required by the Village’s applicable building codes and regulations.
The following types of expenses would be ineligible for the program:
- Routine property maintenance;
- Non-building improvements (landscaping, paving, etc.);
- Professional design and permit costs; and
- Proposed improvements in which the Council determines are not in keeping with the Village’s Downtown Design Guidelines, the existing building’s character, or the surrounding area.