Child Safety Seats
Child Safety Seat Inspections
The Palatine Police Department Crime Prevention Unit provides free child safety seat inspections by calling 847-359-9061. Although there is no law requiring an inspection, the Crime Prevention Unit offers free inspections to ensure a safer installation. The child safety seat program is intended to educate parents how to properly install their child’s seat. The following are the requirements of the program:
- Inspections by the Crime Prevention Unit are by appointment only, and are conducted at the Police Station.
- General availability is Monday through Friday between 7:30 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Inspections are for Palatine residents. If you do not live in Palatine contact your local police department for assistance.
- We do not install child seats - seats must be installed prior to the appointment to the best of the owner’s ability. We will gladly assist you in making any necessary adjustments to the installation.
- Owner must bring the child seat and vehicle owner’s manuals to the appointment for reference.
- If you cannot make an appointment please call to cancel or reschedule.
Child Safety Seat Considerations
Here are a few other child safety seat considerations:
- Follow in the instructions and recommendations for the child seat.
- Be sure your child is within the height and weight limits of the child seat.
- Do not add "after market products" to the child seat that are not recommended by the manufacturer.
- We do not recommend using child seats purchased from garage sales - there is no way to tell if the seat was involved in a car accident.
- Do not continue to use a child seat after it is involved in an accident - replace it to ensure your child’s safety.